In This Series
White Christmas (3)
Sunday, December 04, 2016
Jay & Heather Bean
PART 1 – SNOW GLOBES
Isaiah 1:18 (NLT) – “Come now, let’s settle this,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool. If you will only obey me…”
We have a wrong understanding of forgiveness.
- It’s not minimizing the seriousness of the offense.
- It’s not reconciliation.
- It’s not forgetting what happened.
We don’t think it’s fair.
- Matthew 18:21-35 – Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants… This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”
We don’t think we can do it.
- Philippians 4:13 – I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
1 Corinthians 1:25-28 – For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength…God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things–and the things that are not– to nullify the things that are.
1. Pray for them.
- Matthew 5:43-44 – “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
2. Bless them.
- Luke 6:27-28 – But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
- Romans 12:14 – Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
3. Do good to them.
- Romans 12:17-21 – Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
THE FIRST STEP
Ephesians 4:31-32 – Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
The forgiven forgive.