In This Series
White Christmas (3)
Sunday, December 18, 2016
The Ghost of Christmas Past
Jay & Heather Bean
PART 3 – THE GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PAST
Isaiah 1:18 (NLT) – “Come now, let’s settle this,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool. If you will only obey me…”
THE GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PAST
- We can bury it
Proverbs 28:13 – He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.
- We can beat ourselves up
Psalm 38:4-8 – I am drowning in the flood of my sins, they are a burden too heavy to bear. Because I have been foolish, I’m utterly worn out and crushed, my heart is troubled.
- We can blame others
Genesis 3:13 – The serpent deceived me, and I ate.
- We can believe God
2 Corinthians 5:17 – Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
GETTING PAST MY PAST
1 Timothy 1:13-15 – Even though I was once a blasphemer and a
persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners–of whom I am the worst.
1. Stop trying to earn forgiveness
- Ephesians 2:8-9 – For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God–not by works, so that no one can boast.
- Matthew 10:8 – …Freely you have received, freely give.
2. Defeat every lie with the truth
- John 8:44 – When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
- 1 Corinthians 1:30 (NLT) – Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin.
3. Allow God to turn it around for good
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- Genesis 50:20 – You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
- Romans 4:3 – What does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
You don’t just need forgiveness, you also need faith.