In This Series
- The Holy Spirit: Is He a Person?
- The Holy Spirit: Is He Pentecostal?
- The Holy Spirit: 3 Baptisms
- The Holy Spirit: Is He Charismatic?
- The Holy Spirit: What About This Tongues Thing?
- Who is He?
The Holy Spirit (6)
Sunday, July 17, 2016
The Holy Spirit: 3 Baptisms
Pastor David Messner shares with us about the 3 baptisms: salvation, water baptism & the baptism in the Holy Spirit.
3 BAPTISMS (Part 4)
James 1:16-18 – Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
DON’T BE DECEIVED… RECEIVE
First Baptism: The Holy Spirit baptizes us in Jesus.
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 – For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
- Galatians 3:26-27 – You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
- John 20:23 – As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld.”
- Luke 24:45-49 – Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”
Second Baptism: The disciples baptize us in water.
- Ephesians 2:8 – For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
- Romans 6:3–4 – Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.
- Matthew 28:19 – Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Third Baptism: Jesus baptizes us in the Holy Spirit.
- Matthew 3:11 – … He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- Mark 1:8 – … he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
- Luke 3:16 – … He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- John 1:33 – … he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’
Scripture confirms all three baptisms.
- 1 John 5:7–8 – For there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree.
- Acts 2:38 – And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Scripture shows that all three baptisms are separate moments of experiencing God’s grace.
- Acts 8:12–17 – Now when the apostles at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent to them Peter and John, who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, for he had not yet fallen on any of them, but they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid their hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit.
- Acts 19:5-6 – On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying.
What does the baptism of the Holy Spirit look like?
- Acts 1:8 – But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.
- John 7:37-39 – On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as[a] the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
- Ephesians 5:18 – Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
Let’s answer some questions about the baptism in the Holy Spirit…
- Why do I need this?
God designed you to live a Spirit empowered life.
- Why are they separate experiences?
God didn’t want anything to be attached to your salvation.
- How do I receive?
DON’T BE DECEIVED… RECEIVE
James 1:22-25 – But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
- Remove all barriers.
- Acts 2:38-39 – Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off–for all whom the Lord our God will call.”
- Request the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- Luke 11:13 – If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!
- 1 Corinthians 14:1 – Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts…
- Receive Him by faith.
- Hebrews 11:6 – And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- Relate to Him daily.
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 (MSG) – The amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, the extravagant love of God, the intimate friendship of the Holy Spirit, be with all of you.