In This Series
Instructions From a Spiritual Father (4)
Sunday, July 02, 2017
Who God Made You to Be
Jay & Heather Bean
Pastor Jay continues with his series out of 1 & 2 Timothy, where Paul gives Timothy instructions as his spiritual father. Paul paints a picture for Timothy on who God made us to be: a son/daughter of God, a soldier, an athlete, a farmer, a worker, a vessel and a servant.
INSTRUCTIONS FROM A SPIRITUAL FATHER
PAUL TO TIMOTHY
FOUR THEMES FOUND IN 1 & 2 TIMOTHY
- STAY FAITHFUL
- INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO TREAT OTHERS
- GETTING A PICTURE OF WHO GOD MADE YOU TO BE
A SON OR DAUGHTER (FIRST & FOREMOST)
- 2 Timothy 2:3-4 – Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets entangled in civilian affairs, but rather tries to please his commanding officer.
- 1 Timothy 6:11-16 – But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.
- 2 Timothy 2:8-13 – Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.
Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him;
if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;
if we are faithless, he remains faithful, for he cannot disown himself.
- 2 Timothy 2:5 – Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules.
- 2 Timothy 2:6-7 – The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.
- 2 Timothy 2:14-18 – Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.
- 2 Timothy 2:20-22 (MSG) – In a well-furnished kitchen there are not only crystal goblets and silver platters, but waste cans and compost buckets—some containers used to serve fine meals, others to take out the garbage. Become the kind of container God can use to present any and every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing.
- 2 Timothy 2:22 (NIV) – Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
- 2 Timothy 2:23-24 – Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.