In This Series
- Joy No Matter What
- Joy Beyond Ourselves
- Joy's Focus
- Joy's Focus (continued)
- The Right Stuff
- The Right Stuff (Part 2)
Sunday, March 19, 2017
Joy Beyond Ourselves
Jay & Heather Bean
Pastor Jay continues the Philippians series teaching from chapter 2 this week. He focuses on how as we serve the Lord it naturally leads to serving others and joy comes from being more focused on others than ourselves.
PART 2 – JOY BEYOND OURSELVES
Philippians 2:1-2 – If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
Philippians 2:3-4 – Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Living to impress.
Living to please others.
KEY TO JOY
Develop a servant’s heart.
1. Have an attitude like Christ.
Example of Jesus
- Philippians 2:5-11 – Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death– even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- Hebrews 12:2 – Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
2. Live as the Lord’s servant in the Old Testament.
Example of Israel
- Isaiah 41:8-10 – But you, Israel, my servant, Jacob, whom I have chosen, you descendants of Abraham my friend, I took you from the ends of the earth, from its farthest corners I called you, I said, ‘You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Isaiah 49:5-6 – And now the Lord says—he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord and my God has been my strength—he says: “It is too small a thing for you to be my servant to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept. I will also make you a light for the Gentiles, that my salvation may reach to the ends of the earth.”
3. Take a genuine interest in others.
Example of Timothy
- Philippians 2:19-21 – I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.
4. Motivated by Love
For the Lord
5. Live a life of intentional relationships.
Example of Epaphroditus
- Philippians 2:25 – But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs.
- Philippians 2:14-15 – Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.
- 1 Peter 5:6 – Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. We humble ourselves and God exalts us.