In This Series
Be Rich (4)
Sunday, October 23, 2016
Rich in Good Deeds
Jay & Heather Bean
In this series, we learn how to use our time and resources to advance the Kingdom of God and make a difference. Pastor Jay continues the Be Rich series by teaching the Godly pattern of prayer, spirit and doing.
Rich in Good Deeds (Part 3)
RICH IN GOOD DEEDS
1 Timothy 6:17-19 – Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
1. We are not saved by good works, but we are saved for good works.
- Ephesians 2:8-10 – For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
2. Being comes before doing.
- Acts 10:38 – God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.
Many times we do things for God, not from a relationship with God.
3. The pattern for making a difference is prayer, spirit, doing.
- Acts 4:31 – After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.
4. Our good deeds are samples of Jesus.
- Psalm 34:8 – Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
5. Our good deeds should point to God not us.
- Matthew 5:14-16 – You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.